Every week we plan a menu and almost every week, we have a moment when we run out of ideas. So we just write ‘chicken and veg’ in the empty spot. We never have a set idea of what this will be and it usually gets improvised on the day we’re having it for dinner.
This one came out better than I expected, so I thought I’d share.
THE BITS AND PIECES
- About 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- 1 large red bell pepper.
- 1 large green bell pepper.
- 1 med-large onion.
- 4 garlic cloves.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Your favorite seasoning blend.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, your seasoning blend and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss well and set aside.
- Roughly chop the peppers and onions, then slice the garlic. Toss all together with olive oil, salt, pepper and seasoning blend. Spread vegetables on a baking dish and put in the oven.
- Heat up a skillet and sear chicken breasts on each side. You want a good char on them.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables in the oven.
- Bake, uncovered for 40-50 min. Ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving
- Serve with your favorite side. The pan juices are pretty good over it all.
- While I’m not a big fan of big store pre-packaged seasoning blends, I used Mrs. Dash’s Fiesta Lime on this dish. I like the flavor combination.
- Have leftovers? Chop the chicken in bite size pieces and make yourself a chicken and peppers taco. Or quesadilla. Yum!